STEMspark East Tennessee Innovation Hub - Founded June 2015
STEMspark is the East Tennessee STEM Education hub of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network and the nationwide STEMx coalition. STEMspark is a regional partnership of educational, business, scientific, and research institutions and organizations. STEMspark connects seven institutions of higher education and twenty-three school districts serving twelve counties surrounding Knox County to promote and support high quality STEM education in the East Tennessee region. The organization's goal is to leverage all available resources to amplify opportunities for all students. STEMspark is host to the L&N Academy, the platform school for the East Tennessee region. STEMspark is one of six hubs that make up the TN STEM Innovation Network across the state of TN? It was founded through Race to the Top grants with support from TN Department of Education and Battelle Memorial Institute
What does the STEMspark hub do?
- Provides professional development for K-12 teachers in the 13 county region
- Offers STEM learning opportunities to K-12 students of the region
- Makes available STEM learning and career preparation activities for families and students
- Offers curriculum and lesson plans showing implementation of STEM education best practices and design thinking
- Establishes strategies and venues for sharing innovation with the region