The goal of CyberPatriot is to have as many teams as possible take part in the competition. We understand that some schools and organizations do not have as much access to equipment as others, so technical specifications have been kept to a minimum. In every round except the National Finals competition, teams can participate from any location. Many teams participate at their school, their organizational headquarters, or a library.
Notice: ALL TEAMS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE 64-BIT, HOST COMPUTERS AND OPERATING SYSTEMS TO COMPETE SUCCESSFULLY IN CYBERPATRIOT X.
TEAMS STILL USING 32-BIT HOST COMPUTERS AND OPERATING SYSTEMS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PLAN NOW TO AVOID COMPATIBILITY ISSUES IN CYBERPATRIOT X. ISSUES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF 32-BIT SYSTEMS ARE NOT GROUNDS FOR APPEAL OR SPECIAL CONSIDERATION. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT THE CYBERPATRIOT PROGRAM OFFICE.
The following are the hardware requirements for CyberPatriot X. It is recommended that teams use one host machine for each image in a round. If teams do not have access to enough host machines, it is recommended that they do not run more than one image on a single machine at one time. If they do so, these specifications will be inadequate.
1.5 Ghz or faster core speed Intel x86 compatible processor
- 64-bit x86 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or equivalent, AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Dual Core
- 4 GB of RAM minimum / 8 GB of RAM recommended
- 30 GB of free disk space
XGA (1024x768) or higher display
In order to participate in CyberPatriot, a host system must be able to run VMware Player 12.5.5. VMware Player 12.5.5 is free software that runs on 64-bit host operating systems and is the officially supported software for the competition. Other versions of VMware Player are available, but issues stemming from the use of these versions are not grounds for appeal. Some host systems will appear to conform to the above requirements, but are still unable to run VMware Player 12.5.5. If you are not sure whether your system is capable of running VMware Player 12.5.5, please refer to the VMware Player Documentation.
- Operating Systems. 64-Bit Windows 7or later. Must be capable of running VMWare Workstation 12.5 or later. Other operating systems such as Apple Mac Operating Systems and Linux Operating Systems may be used at the team's own risk, but issues resulting from their use are not grounds for appeal or special consideration.
- Used for verifying the checksum of the images to ensure that they have been fully downloaded
- Install guide
- Used for unzipping the images after they have been downloaded
- Install guide
- VMware Player (for Windows or GNU/Linux) or VMware Fusion (for OS X)
- Used to play the images after they have been unzipped
- Due to the paid nature of VMware Fusion and the limited number of teams using Mac systems, the CyberPatriot Program Office can only provide limited support on this software. If you only have access to Apple computers, please see this guide for some advice on how to participate in the competition: CyberPatriot Mac Guide.
- How to open a virtual machine image
BIOS and virtual extension Requirements
Virtual extensions or similar settings must be enabled in the host computer BIOS if the VMWare Player fails to function correctly.
CyberPatriot requires a DSL or faster network connection. The most common difficulty encountered by teams during competition is having their traffic blocked by a school firewall, filter, or proxy server. All teams will need unrestricted access to HTTP on Port 80 to participate in CyberPatriot. If your school has restrictions on access through Port 80, please contact the CyberPatriot Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org .